Visit Visa

Temporary Immigration

Temporary Immigration Status refers to people who wish to come to Canada to visit, work or study. They are coming to Canada for a temporary period and are considered visitors and require Visitor Visas, unless they are citizens of visa exempt countries.

To visit Canada one must be:

  • Need a valid passport.
  • Must be healthy and may need to go through a Medical exam.
  • Have no criminal or immigration related convictions.
  • You may need to give Biometrics with your application.
  • Must abide by Canadian laws.
  • Need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
  • May need a Letter of Invitation.


A Canadian Visitor Visa will allow you to visit Canada for up to 6 months. It is a popular choice for applicants wishing to visit Canada for a temporary period of up to 6 months. Sometimes an immigration officer at the port of entry will determine how long one can stay in Canada.

The Visit Visas are available under three different categories:

  • Single Entry Canada Visitor Visa.
  • A Multiple Entry Canada Visitor Visa.
  • A Transit Canada Visitor Visa.

Single Entry Canada Visitor Visa:

This allows you to visit Canada only once and is valid for a period of 6 months only. If needed one can apply to extend their Canadian Visitor Visa and will need to make an application for extension at least 30 days before expiry.

A Multiple Entry Canada Visitor Visa:

This allows you to enter and depart Canada on several occasions and is valid for up to 6 months, depending on the issuing case officer. A Multiple Entry visa will be valid for up to 10 years or one month before a passport expires.

A Transit Canada Visitor Visa:

This visa was initially intended for those people entering Canada for a period of 48 hours or less. For example, if your method of transport has to stop in Canada and you are from a country that requires you to have a visa to visit Canada, you will require a Transit Visa.

One is not permitted to work on any of the above Canadian Tourist Visa categories and some applicants may also need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa in addition to the above if they come from certain countries.

Visitors to Canada must satisfy an immigration officer that:

  • They are in good health & one may be required to undergo a medical examination.
  • They must be able to prove that they have sufficient financial means to support themselves during their visit to Canada.
  • Satisfy visa officials that do not have a criminal record or are a security risk.
  • May need a Letter of invitation from a friend or relative currently residing in Canada.
  • A Copy of the Letter of Invitation from the family member inviting you to Canada. It should be written to you from your Family member.
  • They have important family, social, economic and cultural ties to their country.
  • They have ties such as a Job, home, financial assets and family that will bring them back to their home country.
  • Convince an officer that Intend to return to their home country and will not try to stay in Canada.

If you have secured your Visit Visa then you may possibly need to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa if you come from certain countries.

Extending Stay:

Whether you are visiting Canada as a tourist or business visitor, working temporarily or studying in Canada, you are required to leave Canada at the end of your stay. If you desire to stay beyond the authorized date, you must apply for an extension before the expiry of your visitor status. If you want to change the terms and conditions of your stay, you must also submit an application.

In order to extend your stay in Canada one should apply 30 days before one’s status expires as a Visitor, student or Worker etc.

It is illegal to stay in Canada beyond the validity of your visitor status or to work or study without necessary authorization.


The Super Visa is really a Visitor visa that permits a Parent or Grandparent to enter Canada for up to two years. A Parent/grandparent can stay up to 2 years without the need to renew their status. It is simply for a parent or grandparent and no other applicant or dependent is eligible.

To apply for the Parent or Grandparent Super Visa one must:

  • Be the parent/grandparent and the Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
  • Be allowed to enter Canada.
  • Meet other prescribed requirements.

The same statutory requirements and criteria as a regular Visitor visa apply along with additional documentation such as:

  • Provide proof of relationship between the parent/grandparent and the Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • Undergo a medical examination and being admissible on health grounds.
  • Provide evidence of private medical insurance with a minimum coverage of $ 100000 from a Canadian insurance company, valid for a minimum period of one year from the date of entry covering the applicant for health care, hospitalization & repatriation.
  • A Letter of Invitation signed by the sponsor in Canada.
  • Documents to show that the Child / Grandchild meets the financial requirements of a Minimum Income threshold to sponsor.
  • Documents such as Notice of Assessment (NOA) T4 or T1 for the most recent Tax year
  • Statement to show financial support to the Parent/grandparent.
  • Purpose of Visit to Canada and ties to your home country
  • Must satisfy that the applicant is entering Canada as a genuine visitor and not for a Permanent intent and Intend to return to their home country and will not stay in Canada.
  • Super visa can remain valid for up to 10 years, allowing for re-entry during this period of time.
  • Super Visa allows an individual to stay for 5 years at a time in Canada

The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period of 10 years.

We offer visa assistance to Visitors who want to enter Canada temporarily. Please contact us for further information or alternatively fill out the Free Online Visit Assessment Form.

Professional counseling by people, who have lived, studied & worked in Canada!
Wesley Immigration Consultants