Temporary Immigration Status refers to people who wish to come to Canada to visit, work or study. They are coming to Canada for a temporary period and are considered visitors and require Visitor Visas, unless they are citizens of visa exempt countries.
To visit Canada one must be:
- Need a valid passport.
- Must be healthy and may need to go through a Medical exam.
- Have no criminal or immigration related convictions.
- Must abide by Canadian laws.
- Need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
- May need a Letter of Invitation.
An international student is a visitor who has been approved by a Canadian Visa Officer to study in Canada. Immigration Officers look at many factors before deciding whether an applicant qualifies for a study permit.
The student authorization document identifies the level of study, and length of time that the individual may study in Canada.
Foreign students must meet certain immigration requirements to obtain an authorization to study in Canada such as:
- Present a Letter of Acceptance from the educational institution they plan to attend.
- Provide evidence of enough financial resources to pay for tuition and living costs.
- Pass a medical examination if required.
- Satisfy a visa officer that they will return home at the end of their studies.
- Meet other requirements for visitors, including a temporary resident visa if necessary.
A student while studying in Canada under a Student Permit must:
- Be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- Make progress towards completing the program.
- Respect conditions listed on the Study Permit.
- DLI will report to IRCC on continued enrolment and academic status of student.
- Leave Canada when the study permit expires.
International students are allowed to work in Canada, under the following circumstances:
- Working on campus;
- Working off-campus;
- Work as a Co-op or internship program;
- Working in Canada after you graduate;
- Work permits for students at private institutions; &
- Work permits for spouses or common-law partners.
A student can work part time on campus or Off campus if they are registered as Full time students at a College or University without a Work permit. However, a Work permit is required if the academic, professional or vocational training program includes a Co-op or Internship component.
A student’s spouse can apply for an Open Work permit if:
- The student is a full time student at public college or University / or a private school that awards degrees under Provincial law.
- Has a valid study permit.
- Open work permit is valid for the same period of time as the Study permit.
- An open work permit is not Job specific and hence a labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC is not required.
An International Student enrolled in a DLI can work part time off campus and Full time during scheduled school breaks without a Work permit.
Study Permit applications may be refused for the following reasons:
- Student has not shown proof of financial capability.
- Applicant has not passed the medical examination.
- Student has not satisfied the Officer that their primary intention in Canada is to study;
- Student has not satisfied the Officer that they will leave Canada at the end of the period of study.
You do not need a study permit if you are planning to study in a short-term program in Canada of six months or less. Student has to complete their studies within the time approved for stay in Canada.
Whether you are visiting Canada as a tourist or business visitor, working temporarily or studying in Canada, you are required to leave Canada at the end of your stay. If you desire to stay beyond the authorized date, you must apply for an extension before the expiry of your visitor status. If you want to change the terms and conditions of your stay, you must also submit an application.
It is illegal to stay in Canada beyond the validity of your visitor status or to work or study without necessary authorization.
We are authorized Consultants under Canadian Legislation Bill C-35 to advise students on their Immigration options in Canada as well as apply for a Study permit by completing their Visa applications on a Student’s behalf unlike other education agents.
We provide a full range of visa and admission services to individuals who are interested in studying in Canada. Please contact us for further information or alternatively fill out the Free Online Student Assessment Form.