Skilled Worker

A prospective immigrant’s application is assessed primarily on their qualifications, skills and experience in the occupation they intend to pursue in Canada and who have the potential of become economically established in Canada.

The main purpose for encouraging this category of immigration is to attract people with valuable education and employment skills who will contribute to Canada’s economic growth and development.

The Federal skilled worker class is point based and confers permanent resident status to applicants who are able to demonstrate an ability to become economically established in Canada. Prospective applicants are assessed under 6 factors and numerous sub factors of assessment providing for a total of 100 points. The main factors are: Education, language, experience, age, arranged employment, & adaptability.

Canada defines a list of occupations open to prospective immigrants based on the needs of Canada’s labor market, which is listed in the National Occupations Classification Manual 2021. (

Successful applicants must receive a minimum of 67 points with at least one year of experience within the past 10 years in one of the occupations listed in either Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). These selection criteria are as follows:

1. Education: Maximum 25 Points
2. Official Languages: Maximum 28 Points
3. Experience: Maximum 15 Points
4. Arranged Employment: Maximum 10 Points
5. Age: Maximum 12 Points
6. Adaptability: Maximum 10 Points



100 Points


67 Points

Applicants who do not meet the applicable pass mark may be accepted under the positive discretion provisions of the regulations. A visa officer has a general discretion to issue an immigrant visa to an applicant who has less than 67 points if the applicant can show that he has a great chance and ability of becoming successfully established in Canada.

Skilled Worker Criteria:

To be accepted as a Skilled Worker, applicants must meet these Criteria:

  • Be in the age group of 18-47 years.
  • Hold a University degree or a trade / technical diploma from a College.
  • Obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) showing Foreign education equivalency to Canadian certificate, Diploma or Degree.
  • Have at least one year of Full time working experience.
  • Intended Occupation should be in accordance with the Skill type O, A or B of the NOC Occupations List.
  • Proficiency in either English or French Language – High proficiency in English is mandatory. If you also speak French, your chances of qualifying will increase. You have to provide proof of language skills such as English Language Test IELTS.
  • Language Test Demographic factor as set by the Canadian government.
  • Close relatives in Canada if any;
  • Possess the required settlement funding for at least 6 months.
  • Earn enough points in the six selection factors to meet the pass mark on the 100 point Grid.
  • Personal suitability – refers to a person’s adaptability, motivation, initiative and resourcefulness to be able to settle in Canada.

Skilled workers category is the most popular for immigration to Canada. You may qualify if you meet

  • The eligibility requirements,
  • Earn the most points in the 6 selection factors,
  • Earn the most points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for Express Entry.
Note: Completing an Express Entry Profile is the first step to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. You may receive an Invitation To Apply for permanent residence based on your score and rank in the Express Entry Pool using the (CRS) Comprehensive Ranking System. If meeting all eligibility criteria, IRCC will process Permanent Residence Application within 6 months.

Canada Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)

Applicants applying under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) of their completed foreign educational credentials.

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is used to verify that your foreign degree, diploma, certificate is valid and equal to a completed credential in Canada.

When you apply as a federal skilled worker with a foreign educational credential, an original ECA report must:

  • Be included with your application along with proof of your foreign credential.
  • Not be more than five years old on the date that IRCC gets your application &
  • Prove youreducation credential is equal to a completed Canadian one.

If you plan to work in an occupation that is regulated in Canada, you should contact the regulatory authority in the province where you plan to live.

Your education must be assessed against Canadian standards by one of the organizations designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The designated organizations for Educational Credential Assessments are:

Comparative Education Service: University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada
World Education Services
Medical Council of Canada

This is a mandatory requirement that all Federal Skilled Worker program applicants have their educational qualifications assessed for authenticity and equivalency against Canadian standards.

Licensing Requirements

Note: Before you immigrate, you should learn as much as possible about working in Canada related to your intended occupation and become familiar with the Canadian job market. Occupations are often governed by Provincial licensing requirements, which applicants must meet prior to taking up employment in a particular occupation in Canada.

Applicants who apply for assessment in an occupation with licensing restrictions in a particular province are hence encouraged to contact the various licensing bodies to become aware of the obligations and related requirements to practice in a particular profession.

See: Settlement Plan

Proper presentation of your application is a critical aspect for your success. We can support you with preparation and submission of your application for Permanent Residence in Canada. We will counsel you all the way through the process until you become a Permanent Residence of Canada.

We are Licensed Immigration Consultants authorized by the Canadian Government to advise, represent and consult on Immigration matters bearing CICC License # R416183 from The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants


The Quebec government and the Government of Canada have an agreement that allows Quebec to select immigrants who best meet its own immigration needs. Under the Canada-Quebec Accord on Immigration, Quebec is able to establish its own immigration requirements and select immigrants who will adapt well to living in Quebec.

See: Quebec Immigration

A New Beginning

Canada wants to attract new immigrants on an annual basis with the emphasis firmly focused on immigrants with economic & professional skills from every part of the world.

In Canada you can start a new life, with never-ending opportunities ahead of you. We will help you plan your transition to the new way of life in Canada carefully, patiently and knowledgably.

We encourage you to fill out our Free Assessment form and will get in touch with you with the best available options for you.

Wesley Immigration Consultants