Family Class Immigration

Canadian citizens and permanent residents living in Canada, 18 years of age or older, may sponsor close relatives or family members who want to become permanent residents of Canada. This particular class promotes the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad and is designed for family reunification.

A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident can sponsor relatives or family members from abroad if they are:

  • Spouse, common law or conjugal partner.
  • Parents or grandparents*.
  • Dependent children, including adopted children;
  • Children under 18 years of age whom they intend to adopt;
  • Brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces or grandchildren who are orphans; under the age of 18 and not married or in a common-law relationship; or
  • A relative of any age if you do not have an aunt, uncle or family member from the list above who you could sponsor or who is already a Canadian citizen, or permanent resident.


If you are a Canadian Citizen / Permanent Resident of Canada you may sponsor:

  • Your spouse
  • Common law partner
  • Conjugal Partner

To be eligible for spousal sponsorship you must:

  • Be 18 years of age, Canadian permanent resident living in Canada or Canadian Citizen
  • Demonstrate that you can provide for the basic needs of yourself and your spouse
  • Prove your relationship with the sponsored person is genuine by providing supporting documentation

Who can become a Sponsor?

  • Sponsor must be Canadian citizens, or permanent residents aged 18 or over, and be living in Canada.
  • Sponsor must have the necessary relationship to the person being sponsored.
  • Sponsor must support relative financially when they arrive and relative doesn’t need social assistance.
  • Sponsor must earn sufficient income to be able to comply with the requirements of the undertaking.
  • Sponsor must give an undertaking to be financially responsible for the applicants for a period of 3-20 years, during which time sponsored relatives must not depend on social assistance.
  • Sponsored person must sign an agreement stating that they will make the effort to support themselves.

A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident who wants to sponsor any of the above listed relatives or family members may have to meet certain income requirements, sign a legal contract or Undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.

They must also sign a Sponsorship Agreement with their relative or family member that outlines their mutual commitments to each other.

Sponsors are accountable for providing for their family members after arrival in Canada, and for making certain that they do not become dependent on the Canadian social aid.

They must pledge to support the relative or family member and their accompanying family members for a period of 3-20 years to help them settle & reconcile to their new life in Canada.

Parents & Grandparents Program

This program allows Canadian Citizens and Permanent residents to sponsor their parents / grandparents for Canadian Permanent residence.

Applicants who wish to sponsor their parents and / or Grandparents will have to first complete an Online Interest to Sponsor Form. These Forms will be processed in the Order they are received and Invitations To Apply (ITA) will be issued until the program’s cap of 20,000 complete applications are met.

Eligibility Requirements’

An applicant can sponsor own parents and grandparents if:

  • Sponsor is at least 18 years old
  • Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident who Lives in Canada
  • Has enough money to support the persons he intends to sponsor
  • Make sure sponsored parents don’t need social assistance from the government

All individuals who submit an Online Form will be notified whether they have been invited or Not to apply.

Invitations To Apply (ITA) will be issued to eligible potential sponsors in order the Online forms were received until the cap of complete applications are met. Those invited to apply will have 60 days to submit a Complete application along with supporting documents.

Sponsors who submit an Online “Interest to Sponsor” Form and receive a confirmation number will have their form retained for consideration next year if they do not receive an ITA apply to the Parents & Grandparents Program.

We are Licensed Immigration Consultants authorized by the Canadian Government to advise, represent and consult on Immigration matters bearing CICC License # R416183 from The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants

We encourage you to fill out our Free Assessment form and will get in touch with you with the best available options for you.
Wesley Immigration Consultants