Student Visa

Study Permit

A Study Permit is a document issued by the Canadian Government, which gives you permission to study in Canada for a temporary period.

A student will need a study permit to study in Canada. One does not need a Study Permit if they are planning to take a course or program with duration of six months or less.

Study Permits are temporary visas and a student will be required to satisfy a visa officer that they will be studying in Canada only for a temporary period.

Documents needed to apply for a study permit:

The type of documentation required depends on the student’s country of origin, the program of study, and the length of study. In order to apply for a study permit, the following documents are needed:

  1. Application for a Study Permit:

    Fill out the application form with supporting documentation.

  2. Letter of acceptance:
    A Letter of acceptance from a university, college or other institution accepting the applicant to attend is needed in order to apply for a Study Permit. An authorized representative of the institution must sign this letter.

    Letter of acceptance from a university or college in Canada should show: Name of the institution; Confirmation of acceptance or registration as a student, Course of study; duration of the academic program; and the latest date for registration.

  3. Student identity:

    A valid passport or travel document, which guarantees re-entry to the country that, issued it. Two recent passport-size photos for you and each accompanying family member. The name and date of birth of the person should be written on the back of each photo.

  4. Financial support:
    Demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to pay the school’s tuition and for your general living expenses during your course of study up to one year. Generally, if your course of study is for one year, you should show that you have Cdn $10,000 plus tuition.

    Evidence of adequate funds to cover tuition and living costs for you and your dependents, while you study in Canada may include:

    • Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name if money has been transferred to Canada.
    • Bank statements for the past six months.
    • Bank draft in convertible currency.
    • Education Loan from a designated Bank.
    • Proof of payment of tuition and residence fees.
    • Proof of funding paid from within Canada if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program.
  5. Application Fee:

    The rate for processing an application for a study permit is $150.00 Cdn.

  6. Medical Exam:

    Medical exams are essential if your stay is longer than six months and you come from a country with high health risks or will be studying or working in a place where protection of public health is essential.

  7. Police Certificates / Certificate of Good Conduct:

    A visa officer may request a police certificate to help Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) officers verify a student’s admissibility to Canada.

Note: Additional documentation may be required apart from the ones listed above.

Student Direct Stream:

Canada’s Student Direct Stream programme is available to students applying for a study permit from China, India, Vietnam, and the Philippines

To be part of the SDS and to benefit from expedited processing, you will need to provide proof that:

  • You have been accepted by an eligible post-secondary Designated learning institute (DLI)
  • You have paid the tuition for the first year
  • You have obtained a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 from one of the financial institutions approved by the IRCC to provide this service
  • You have completed an upfront Medical examination
  • You have the minimum-required IELTS level of English language ability of 6.0 in all categories (listening, reading, writing and speaking)
  • Other relevant documents to apply

The Student Direct Stream will make processing time faster for students who satisfy and meet the prescribed requirements for student visa applications.

Status of Application:

When reviewing your Study permit application, a visa officer must be satisfied that you meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations and that you will only be in Canada temporarily.

Application is reviewed and the officer will decide if an interview is required. If needed the applicant is informed of the time and place of the interview.

If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada do not accept the application for a study permit, they will notify the reasons for refusal in writing to the student.

Applications for a Study Permit may be refused for the following reasons:

  • Applicant has not shown proof of Financial sufficiency.
  • Applicant has not passed the medical examination.
  • Applicant has not satisfied the Officer that their primary intention in Canada is to study.
  • Applicant has not satisfied the Officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their period of study.

A study permit is issued if the application is accepted. If approved the student will receive A Letter of Introduction confirming the approval and A Temporary Resident Visa placed in the passport.

Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by a visa office. It is placed in the passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident.

Letter of introduction from IRCC confirms that the Study Permit was approved. This letter shows the Permit reference number with which the immigration officer will issue the Study permit once the student enters Canada.

Note: It is very important that a student plans properly at the very beginning. The choice of schools will affect their options to work in Canada, either during their schooling or after graduation. Hence an individual can study in Canada, obtain work permits after graduation and then qualify to Immigrate to Canada.


What you can do What you can’t do
Direct someone to the CIC website to find information on Immigration programs. Explain or provide advice on someone’s immigration options.
Direct someone to the CIC website to find immigration application forms. Provide guidance to a client on how to select the best immigration stream.
Direct someone to an authorized immigration representative. Complete and submit immigration application forms on a student’s behalf.
Provide translation services. Communicate with CIC & CBSA on a clients behalf.
Provide courier services. Represent a client in an immigration application or proceeding.
Provide medical services. Advertise that you can provide immigration advice for consideration.
Make travel arrangements.
Advise an international student on how to select their courses or register for program. Source: Citizenship & Immigration Canada.

Education agents cannot charge student fees for helping complete their student visa application forms compile supporting documents and submit the applications on the student’s behalf to a Canadian visa office under Bill C-35. Thus, International student agencies are not authorized to assist with study permits to Canada.

According to Canadian law, it is unlawful for education agents / consultants either in Canada or overseas who are not recognized by IRCC to provide study permit assistance or Immigration advice for a fee. Only CICC members, Lawyers and a few others are authorized to do so.

If an International student agent is also an CICC member / lawyer he can do so.

We are ICEF certified Education Agents and a Canada Course Graduate bearing No: CCG00053. You can see our listing at

We are Licensed Immigration Consultants authorized by the Canadian Government to advise, represent and consult on Immigration matters bearing CICC License # R416183 from The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants

If you are a student and want someone to help you with your study permit, you need to make sure that the person is recognized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as an Authorized representative to process your visa application.

We are authorized Consultants under Canadian Legislation Bill C-35 to advise students on their Immigration options in Canada as well as apply for a Study permit by completing their visa applications on a Student’s behalf unlike other education agents.

“Study in Canada and maximize the benefits of a Study Permit in obtaining Permanent Residence in Canada.”

We can provide the right study pathway amongst various choices for a student to realize their desired career in order to settle down successfully in Canada.

Free Assessment for Study in Canada

Our Company can assist those who want to study in Canada. If you would like our help, please fill out the Student Assessment Form and we will get back to you with our assessment.

Professional counseling by people who have lived, studied & worked in Canada!
Wesley Immigration Consultants